Thursday, September 09, 2004

Upheaval

Today, it is 9th September 2004. I am trying to pen down few of my thoughts on blogger for long but something or the other thing is prevening me to do so. I shall try to capture events which followed Pranav's homecoming on the 3rd September,2004.

Pranav came here on the 3rd Sept. As the second around for Govt. seats in Mubai was over and we were not going anywhere Pranav asked me if he can go to Lamington Road area, probably to purchase components for a new computer being assebled for Alok. I said he can.On 4th he left at noon. He finally called me at 12.10 am /5th Sept. for help in dropping Alok and his computer at Alok's home at Airoli.While driving down to Airoli, Pranav told me that his friend in SIT had called him and said that there is going to be a Uniform at SIT. Pranav seemed to be horribly aversed to very idea of wearing uniform at engg. college.I echoed him and told that wearing is a uniform at engg college is rediculous idea. I asked him to first check whether the news of uniform is true. I was in shock, however, when he told me that he would not like to continue at SIT on the ground of uniform. It was a shock because we had not sought admission anywhere in Mumbai subconsequent to his getting admission in SIT. And I thought it is foolishness to think of giving up education on this flimsy ground.He further said that Mumbai University is the only known university from India internationally. I tried in vain to tell him that it is not so and Pune University is also equally good. I broke this news to his mother who was in tears hearing this.The whole night she cried.On Sunday, the 5th she was successful in pusuading Pranav that uniform really doesn't matter. I also showed him few sites on the web from Pune wherein engg colleges have prescribed uniforms.I consoled him further by telling him that he may have to wear uniform only on few days.Finally it was decided that now Pranav would attend 3rd round for Architecture seats that was being conducted at Sir J.J. School and if he get a seat in Sir J.J.College of Architecture, he would continue to be in Mumbai or else in SIT.

On 6th we attended counselling round at JJ, however, he could not get a seat in JJ. Then he made some purchases for his drawing class. He said he needed to go back to SIT the same evening.I asked him whether we should try to find a seat in Mumbai college, to which he vehemently replied in negative.Since my car was broken, I asked Dr. Nilesh to drop us at SIT.Thus we dropped him at SIT at around 7 pm on 6th.

On 7th, when I called Pranav at around 8 a.m. he complained of some trouble with his asthmatic conditions.He said that any branch of engg in Mumbai would do for him .It was painful for me too.I immediately got ready, collected his certificates and decided to go to Vivekanand,Saboo and Fr. Agnel,Bandra.I went to Vivekanand and found that VESIT were going to put admission / counselling sked on the same day in the afternoon.It was 11 a.m. I called him again and asked how he was feeling...he said he was much better and would probably attend college in the afternoon session.I also told him that since Vivekanand was the only college in which we had submitted form for the 2nd round we shall try in that college only and if he is lucky enough, he shall come back to Mumbai, which he agreed.He even said he was happy at SIT. The same evening I learned that his doctor at SIT advised him to be take rest and hence he didn't go to college.In the evening his friend Alok called me and told that there are some vaccant seats in Saboo.He had called Pranav earlier and felt that probably Pranav may feel awkward to talk to me regarding vaccant seats in Saboo and hence Alok decided to call me. I called back Pranav and asked him if he was interested in Saboo and told him that we would not mind if he came back to Mumbai. He flatly said "No", He said that he was not sure whether he would like to do Auto or Prodn. or for that matter even Mech and hence will continue to be in EXTC branch at SIT.

On 8th at morning 5.45 I got a call from Pranav. He complained of the same trouble and also said that his Asthalin inhaler has exhausted and asked me to bring one. I went to 24hrs med shop and got 3 such inhalers.My car was broken and hence took Dr. Nitin's car and went to SIT with his mother.By that time he had secured one inhaler from someone from the hostel.We asked Pranav to wait for us and not to bother to go to class till we met. We reached SIT at 9.30 a.m. We had some breakfast at the canteen and dropped him at his college building just before 10.30 a.m., when his next class would begin.Before that we again confirmed whether he would still be interested to come down to Mumbai for studies.

The above account may look simple narration of events, but what emotional upheaval we have gone thru cannot be captured at this time at least.One of the reason is time-lag between the emotional feeling and noting down the event.Secondly, it would take up quite a time in jotting all this thru keyboard.
This is enough for the time being.

No comments: