Friday, January 13, 2006

Middlescence and Me

Middlescence, a condition where you are caught in between your career graph, wherein you find your boss either demand much more from what you are doing or try to overlook you, by ignoring you, by seeking direct report from your juniors. Thus you are being ignored or become irrelevant or redundant.

You burn from inside but there is nothing that you can do much except, perhaps, learning / adapting to new skills and reshaping yourself to the demands of the present and thus try to avoid your obscelence.

Middlescence is also about a search for a new identity. It is a strange urge to do something different in your career or life, which could provide the one thing we miss: satisfaction. This of course is, to a large extent but not necessarily, a direct result of turmoil in your present career wherein you are continuously being felt left out. So there is a need of reinventing you. People who have been courageous enough to chart their own lives or careers should ask : What Should I Do With My Life?

I am going through this period. For me it’s not that my boss is ignoring me and seeking report directly from my juniors in rank but it is the feeling that I should either do things in better way or do something new.With advance in age I feel it is increasingly clear that in such a period it is the technology who is going to help you.

I have gone through the period of over-indulgence,over consumption in past and sudeenly you find that things have changed.Unable to find what exactly has gone wrong or what should be done; suddenly I realsized that I am trying to find my own identity…..

There are many reasons why am I doing that..trying to find own identity...

One important reason could be economic compulsion.

I am in Central Governmnet. Salaries or wages or compensation in Government service is a paltry sum today compared to salaries offered by corporate sector in India for comparable level of education and skills. It is difficult to scape thru daily necessities of life...somehow necesseities can be satisfied but not the niceties…
Govt salary has become peanuts considering that almost all govt servants come through a grueling public exam followed by interview.Public servants could have flourished elsewhere had they not indulge themselves in thoughts of fear of uncertainty and ‘seeking for safe heaven’.

What does the govt think when they offer such paltry salaries? Of course I know that they cannot offer increase in salaries across the board but they should do something so that public servant can also lead a decent life;afterall fruits of economic development should reach them also.They also have a right to dream of a beautiful house, a modern car (if not expensive one),education in modern public schools for their children,they should be able to take benefits the modern technology offer e.g.the internet,computers,PDAs,digital cameras etc.,and a holiday at domestic and international destinations. Is it possible to have all such things in their paltry salary?

Person like me who are in their mid 40s are really caught at crossroads...naa gharka naa ghatka...nowhere to go;probably spend their whole life doing something which they do not like now.

No comments: