Friday, January 13, 2006

My SOP

This is my Staemnet of Purpose (SOP) written for submitting to Indian Institute of Mnagement,Calcutta (IIM-C) a premier management school in India for their Executive program in General Management.This was in Feb2005
Statement of Purpose

One may be wondering what this man in his mid 40s, a public servant is doing here.

A job with government, in India, is traditionally seen as a secured job. Govt. employees are (or were) in comfort zone and I am no exception. However, things started changing in 90’s, when winds of liberalization started blowing over India. Slowly but surely this comfort zone started tumbling. Probably the employees didn’t feel that tremours acutely then but in the years to come there were dramatic changes.

One of the immediate and noticeable barometers of comfort, salary, did not rise in Govt. sector vis-à-vis the private sector. In the good olden days the salaries to Govt. servants were better, compared to the private sector; however, that changed rapidly and our apostles in heaven were shaken when there was a major change in salary structure all over. In the early 90s, salaries in Govt. sector were 30-40% more than salaries in corporate ; but now private sector salaries are many times the salaries in Govt. sector. The Govt. servants are definitely at the receiving end as far as pay packet is concerned

Post liberalization brought with it better lifestyle. Gradually it was noticed that it was very difficult to subscribe to and also to maintain the present lifestyle at the salary structure prevalent in Govt. sector. To worsen the matter familial demand to remain on parity with neighbours has made going tough. Really govt. servants started viewing liberalization as a treat to them

On positive side, with threat also came an opportunity under the mask; only you need to recognize it. Post liberalization, the Indian economy has opened up tremendously and there are opportunities of all sorts available in India. But you should be equipped to take advantage of the changed scenario. Having spent many years only thinking about doing something else also but not doing anything, came the realization why not upgrade ourselves! When the umpteen numbers of opportunities are present why not take a dip into something new and exciting!

Principles based on natural laws, which are immortal, have not changed. But the development has led us to new situations previously unheard or unknown and we may fail if we apply the old solutions in the new changed situation. The skills required now are quite different. What we need is the paradigm shift in thinking and it is with this aim in mind I thought it prudent to enroll myself in the Executive Management program of the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta.

In my analysis what I have seen is that it is the courage that is the main ingredient for success in life. One may have knowledge but that doesn’t guarantee you a success. It is the application of that knowledge which requires training and skills. I have come across people who have risen to top position simply because of the courage that they exhibited in carrying out their ideas.

In the ultimate analysis all managerial problems can be solved with man management relations. Management is managing the men (and their egos!).That is the reason I have decided to go in for General Management program instead of Finance or Marketing or HRM etc. as they deal in functional (management) aspects, however, General Management, in my opinion deals in leadership aspect.

I think I have essential ingredients viz. knowledge and skills in relating myself to society.

I am a Rotarian and was a President of Rotary Club Of Bombay Mulund East in the year 1999-2000.As a president I ensured that all the meetings were not only interesting but also informative and as a result drew a good attendance during my tenure. Infact, during the tenure I was diagnosed with Lymphoma and was confined to bed for almost 4 months but chaired most meetings myself. Also, published club bulletin with the active participation of all members of the club.

Way back in 1980s, as an active Civil Defence member, I took courses in Emergency Communications and Control, First-Aid, Fire-Fighting and Mountaineering Rescuing so as to be able to provide help to civilians during the time of any emergency. Seeing my interest, knowledge and enthusiasm in the various activities my instructors then recommended me as an instructor for Civil defence.

I am an active Amateur Radio operator, also known as HAM. Amateur Radio fill vacuum when the normal channels of communications fail during the disaster. I have received a specialized training in providing emergency radio communication during disaster. I have been instrumental in conducting classes for training the young boys and girls in Radio Communication in preparing them for the examination conducted by Ministry of Communication. I have been teaching Radio Regulation Act to the students from the disaster/earthquake prone areas. I make them realize how to use a powerful instrument like radio wireless transmitter not only effectively and efficiently but also with due care.

What I feel now is that there needs a spark to ignite my knowledge and skills to take it in the higher orbit… as an individual grows within an organization it is imperative at each step forward to add on qualifications & skills that are commensurate with the role he is assigned: a broad overview of the key concepts, tools and techniques needed to successfully meet the challenges of today's global business environment. However, I sincerely feel that such opportunities for interaction are rarely available in govt sector; the transparency, openness is lacking, communication is restricted, the hierarchy is strictly maintained and there is a limited scope to communicate your ideas.

I don’t know what, but something has always made me yearn for my own business. I always had the motivation to become an entrepreneur but needed guidance to explore the hidden magnitude of business, particularly so after being in a comfort zone for past 20 years!

At this age I find myself unwilling to work under somebody, and for that matter even in a multinational, if I switch on my job. For me independence of mind is the greatest advantage and that has cast me into a state of confusion. However, there is only one thing that I am certain about at this point in time that I want to become an entrepreneur. Today I find myself at crossroads, not knowing how to begin, where to begin and even what to begin with.

I always admired business achievers and wished to be one of them. But I am yet not clear as to what exactly I want to do, what is my forte.

There are few people whom I admire or who have influenced me a lot. I have been a steady investor, first in the govt. securities and then in equities. I’m a great fan of Warren Buffet. Although he is a great investor his strategies are fairly simple, showing a clear logic: buy a stock below it’s intrinsic value. He is an investor and not a speculator and holds the stock with a purpose of owning the stock in a company that does in business which can be understood by a layman also and hence his strategies do not need a complex financial analysis.

You need acumen to relate to people; a person that comes to my mind here is my boss Mr. X X X . He is such a wonderful person, who has established a very good rapport with his team and this is for the first time that I have seen in my professional career that he has no whims of his position and relates very easily with his subordinates.

I believe training in various aspects of management will definitely help me for when I will have knowledge and information to avoid making mistakes, will realizing my strengths & weaknesses and boost my self-confidence. Besides, the program will help me in developing soft skills like communication skills, negotiation skills etc.; essentially a well-structured training, in grooming myself. I hope to get the composite exposure as B-school education mainly consists of group / syndicate work where participants need to work as teams.

And for that matter doing an executive masters in Business Administration from reputed institutes of the caliber of IIMs, while continuing in the present service, would be a great fun together with benefit of acquisition of knowledge. Also there is a chance to have sufficient opportunities to gain from close interaction with the faculty from reputed institute like IIM-C. Although, the success of a person depends on his mettle, one cannot undermine the brand value associated with a person educated at a reputed B-school like IIM-C.

Accordingly to me the delivery method used for this program will provide a chance of meeting with my lecturers, teachers, mentors over the video conferencing and also in person at the contact classes. The chances of meeting fellow students who are in middle and senior management position in corporate world and businesses should give my confidence a tremendous boost, besides extensive knowledge. The program, I am sure, will have inputs on soft skills, like communications skills and negotiations skills which will develop and groom me to become a perfect businessman.
However, starting life again in the wake of numerous life threatening conditions that I have undergone like Lymphoma in 1999-2000 (Diabetes since 1994), part amputation of left great toe in 2002, it will be pertinent to note the unconditional support lent by my family. My family is kind enough in making generous adjustments in their schedules and needs for one year if I am to do this program. When you are committing your time and money, for the program by severing the same from your family you cannot but think of a success at any cost.

I consider joining the management programs for other reasons also. One reason is to imbibe on the minds of our kids that virtually anything can be achieved with due perseverance and for that matter getting admission in a highly reputed business management school is also not exception.
I am thinking big. Although I was an average+ student throughout, I believe that it's never too late to throw mediocrity out of your life. All the more required so to make second half my life inning… the next 40 years… wonderful and meaningful ….afterall life begins at 40!!
Signed
(Prashant Koli)

No comments: